RSS

Tag Archives: Summer

Summer Bruchetta Sampler Dinner

We’ve had a great deal of heat lately here, ozone warnings, and humidity too.  It’s just too hot for a stew, chili, or any other heavy meal.  Since Jk likes to cook, I wanted to teach her something new, easy, and light for such a day as today.  While grocery shopping yesterday we found bags of bruchetta bread on sale.  When I saw that I thought…”Hmm great snack food for those times when I don’t feel like eating much.”  But after watching Iron Chef last night something else came to me…”Why not teach Jk how to make Bruchetta?”  So tonight after a day of running errands, I decided it would be the perfect time to do just that.  We made Chicken Salad Bruchetta, a simple Cucumber-Garden Style Cream Cheese Bruchetta, Ham-Asparagus and Mozzarella Bruchetta, Tomato-Basil and Mozzarella Bruchetta, and last a Portabello Mushroom-Sweet Pepper and Ham Bruchetta.  At first she didn’t think she was going to like anything but the Ham and Asparagus ones, but as we cooked I had her taste everything to make sure the seasoning was alright.  I wish I could really describe in a few words the look on her face with each taste.  Her eyes widened, then closed as she savored each bite.  Then finally a big smile would cross her face and she would say…”Oh Mom, that is so delicious!”  Needless to say, she didn’t just eat one piece of each type of Bruchetta.  In fact, I quit counting how many times she went back for more after the third time.   Her favorite was the Tomato-Basil and Mozzarella Bruchetta.  My granddaughter, Aubrey, loved helping and her favorite was the Chicken Salad Bruchetta.  My husband and I loved them all, but we aren’t as picky as the two girls are.  Talk about a successful adventure into new foods…this was one!  Here are the pictures of our Summer Bruchetta Sampler Dinner.

Tomato-Basil and Mozzarella Bruchetta

Portabello Mushroom-Sweet Peppers and Ham Bruchetta

Cucumber and Garden Style Cream Cheese Bruchetta

Ham Rollups with Aspargus and Mozzarella Bruchetta

Advertisements
 

Tags: , , , , , ,

Spring Wreath

The finished wreath

Today my daughter Jk and I sat down and made a new wreath for the front door.  We wanted

Supplies needed

 

 

something that could stay up throughout Spring and Summer, and we wanted to have it be something we made together.   So we sat down on my bed and decided what we needed and  as we thought of things Jk ran around the house collecting them.  Then Jk started the first step.  She mixed food coloring, hot water and a tablespoon of vinegar together in cups and dyed about a half of a pack of coffee filters.  When she

Dyed coffee filters

was done dying them, she squeezed out the excess water, and piled them onto a plate covered with paper towels, and threw them in the dryer at a low temperature.  In about a half hour they were dry and we were ready to work on our wreath.

Our supplies were:  Dyed coffee filters, pipe cleaners, beads, jewelry wire, 2 colors of ribbon,  jewelry making tools such as wire cutters and pliars,  rubber bands, a store bought grapevine wreath for the base, and paper cutting scissors.

Jklyn started by placing one coffee filter inside another and wrapping it with a rubber band.  She

Filters cut in half and 6 inches of jewelry wire.

then took the scissors and cut the inside coffee filter like fringe to looks like the stemen of the flowers.  Then I replaced the rubber band with about a 6 inch piece of jewelry wire.  We set these aside when we were finished making all that we needed, which depends on your own feeling about how many flowers you want on your wreath.

Next, we cut green and yellow dyed coffee filters in half, then folded each half in thirds.  Then we gathered the wide end together and wrapped it with about a 6 inch piece of wire to give it the shape of a leaf.

Folding the halved coffee filters into thirds to make leaves.

We decided to make a few butterflies out of pipe cleaners, beads and a coffee filter that had been dyed and fan-folded.  We used the beads as the head and tail, by putting one at the half mark of a pipe cleaner and twisting the pipe cleaner to hold it.  Then we inserted the fan-folder coffee filter and again twisted the two sides of the pipe cleaner to hold it.  Then we put the other bead on one end of the pipe cleaner and pushed it toward the filter, and twisted the two ends of the pipe cleaner together once more.  The two ends of the pipe cleaner were then curled to look like antennas.  Jewelry wire was attached to the back of the butterfly to add them when we were ready.  Jklyn also designed her own butterfly to put on the bow out of pipe

A finished leaf.

cleaners and beads.

When we were done making all the flowers, leaves and butterflies, Jk and I were ready to put the whole wreath together.  I started by using the plain green ribbon around the wreath leaving spaces of about 3 to 4 inches for the flowers and leaves.  Then I took both ribbons and folded them to create a bow, and wrapped wire around it and hook the bow to the wreath.  Next we put the leaves around the wreath, and began adding the flowers making sure we mixed the colors up.  Finally we added the bow and the butterflies around the wreath.

This was a simple project and as you can see, it turned out cute!  Jk was excited and barely paused to let me take a picture of her with the wreath,  It now adorns our front door for us to enjoy until fall.  I have to laugh though, because here we are making something that celebrates warm weather and just a few minutes ago they put us under a Frost Warning.  Oh well, when it gets cold I’ll just look at this wreath and be reminded of warmer weather.

Leaves wired to wreath.

 

Bow attached and ribbon wrapped around wreath.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

One of the butterflies.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jk with finished wreath.

 

 

 

 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

 
%d bloggers like this: