Today my daughter Jk and I sat down and made a new wreath for the front door. We wanted
something that could stay up throughout Spring and Summer, and we wanted to have it be something we made together. So we sat down on my bed and decided what we needed and as we thought of things Jk ran around the house collecting them. Then Jk started the first step. She mixed food coloring, hot water and a tablespoon of vinegar together in cups and dyed about a half of a pack of coffee filters. When she
was done dying them, she squeezed out the excess water, and piled them onto a plate covered with paper towels, and threw them in the dryer at a low temperature. In about a half hour they were dry and we were ready to work on our wreath.
Our supplies were: Dyed coffee filters, pipe cleaners, beads, jewelry wire, 2 colors of ribbon, jewelry making tools such as wire cutters and pliars, rubber bands, a store bought grapevine wreath for the base, and paper cutting scissors.
Jklyn started by placing one coffee filter inside another and wrapping it with a rubber band. She
then took the scissors and cut the inside coffee filter like fringe to looks like the stemen of the flowers. Then I replaced the rubber band with about a 6 inch piece of jewelry wire. We set these aside when we were finished making all that we needed, which depends on your own feeling about how many flowers you want on your wreath.
Next, we cut green and yellow dyed coffee filters in half, then folded each half in thirds. Then we gathered the wide end together and wrapped it with about a 6 inch piece of wire to give it the shape of a leaf.
We decided to make a few butterflies out of pipe cleaners, beads and a coffee filter that had been dyed and fan-folded. We used the beads as the head and tail, by putting one at the half mark of a pipe cleaner and twisting the pipe cleaner to hold it. Then we inserted the fan-folder coffee filter and again twisted the two sides of the pipe cleaner to hold it. Then we put the other bead on one end of the pipe cleaner and pushed it toward the filter, and twisted the two ends of the pipe cleaner together once more. The two ends of the pipe cleaner were then curled to look like antennas. Jewelry wire was attached to the back of the butterfly to add them when we were ready. Jklyn also designed her own butterfly to put on the bow out of pipe
cleaners and beads.
When we were done making all the flowers, leaves and butterflies, Jk and I were ready to put the whole wreath together. I started by using the plain green ribbon around the wreath leaving spaces of about 3 to 4 inches for the flowers and leaves. Then I took both ribbons and folded them to create a bow, and wrapped wire around it and hook the bow to the wreath. Next we put the leaves around the wreath, and began adding the flowers making sure we mixed the colors up. Finally we added the bow and the butterflies around the wreath.
This was a simple project and as you can see, it turned out cute! Jk was excited and barely paused to let me take a picture of her with the wreath, It now adorns our front door for us to enjoy until fall. I have to laugh though, because here we are making something that celebrates warm weather and just a few minutes ago they put us under a Frost Warning. Oh well, when it gets cold I’ll just look at this wreath and be reminded of warmer weather.